Microsoft says it has offered Sony a 10-year contract on new Call of Duty games

Posted on

Microsoft has offered Sony a 10-year contract to make future Duty games available on PlayStation if Activision Blizzard’s proposed acquisition goes ahead. Microsoft president Brad Smith confirmed the deal in an op-ed The Wall Street Journal today, pointing out that “Sony has emerged as the loudest objector” to Microsoft’s proposed $68.7 billion acquisition and that “it is as excited about this deal as Blockbuster was about the rise of Netflix.”

“We offered Sony a 10-year contract to make any new ‘Call of Duty’ release available on PlayStation the same day it comes to Xbox,” said Smith. “We are open to making the same commitment to other platforms and making it legally enforceable by regulators in the US, UK and European Union.”

Microsoft’s new offering is designed to satisfy regulators and Sony

Such a concession has been suggested in recent weeks, with The New York Times reporting Microsoft made the offer to Sony on Nov. 11. Microsoft Gaming CEO also hinted in a recent To forget interview that he is happy to “make a long-term commitment that Sony is comfortable with”.

The edge revealed in September that Spencer had made a written commitment to PlayStation head Jim Ryan earlier this year to abide Duty on PlayStation for “a few more years” after Sony’s existing marketing deal with Activision. That letter was sent around the time that Spencer was publicly committing to Microsoft’s intention to honor all existing agreements following the Activision Blizzard acquisition and our desire to Duty on PlayStation.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *